Vintage Gliding Club 2010 Rally Tibenham by Martin Smith

The VGC international rally comes together for 2 weeks in Aug each year. The rally takes place in a different country each year and members come along to fly their gliders, meet old friends and make new ones.

Although I had not been to a VGC rally for a couple of years, my Slingsby Tutor (circa 1947) now resplendent in it’s new trailer, and was just begging to go to the VGC rally. (So I had to go too)

Tibenham was one of 18 airfields spread across Norfolk during WW II operated by the Eighth Air Force, and is about 20 miles south of Norwich. During the war it was the home of US Liberator bombers from the 445 bomber group. Tibenham was made even more famous, as the actor James Stewart was the station commander for two years.


Norfolk Gliding had been using the airfield for some 50 years but in 1987 32 acres of concrete and 22 acres of arable land were purchased. You can read the whole story on their web site



The VGC rally is always a great place to meet like minded people from many nationalities, not all brought a glider with them, but with over 80 vintage gliders to look at, and even fly in, getting a flight in one was not a problem.


For my part Monday 2nd Aug was a 7hr drive, I set up camp and checked in late afternoon and got an early night. Tues I rigged and had two flights the first was not long but the second saw the Tutor soaring to 2,000 ft, I then got carried away taking pictures and quickly ended up back on circuit. However on landing the inner tube moved inside the tyre shearing the valve off and ending my flying for the day. Wed was damp and raining so it was scrubbed, that suited me fine I needed to go into Norwich to find an inner tube I went to garden centres (Wheel barrow inner tube would do the job) to John Deere, and all manor of motor bike show rooms, but to no avail, however on returning to the Norfolk gliding club and thinking of packing up and going home, I came across Stuart from Anglian Sailplanes who could get me an inner tube by Thurs morning, and he was as good as his word, he even delivered it! (What a super service, and typical of VGC members)


Thurs afternoon saw several short flights in the Tutor, by now I was getting to grips with it. Fri was to be my last day, but not without a couple of flights, one of which was in a Slingsby T31 a two seat version of the Tutor the owner was looking to sell it, as he has 3 of them! so with his 10 year old daughter strapped in the back I was off. (My first ever glider flight was in a T31 and I was around 14 or 15, so I was chuffed to bits and rounded off my week nicely)



I must mention the quality of the gliders at the rally, if you think you have a nice glider, tucked up in you trailer, I’m sorry to say, whether you have a wood or glass glider it will probably get 3rd place, the gliders are astounding, the love, time and effort to keep these old gliders in first class flying condition is immense. (then there is the trailers they come in…..if I told you about those, you would probably set fire to yours)


Our hosts Norfolk Gliding club put on a great week, with a full catering services morning, noon and night, entertainment each evening, including the International evening (Hic!), Morris dancing, Model jet, and full size flying displays, Dwile Flonking (you can look that up yourselves) and many more.


Norfolk Gliding had at it disposal for the rally, 2 club gliders, two winches and five tugs, plus a dedicated launch and retrieve team from the ATC, six quad bikes to take you from your trailer to the launch, and back again! (Now that’s service)

The Norfolk Gliding has a great Web site, with pictures from the rally at - www.norfolkglidingclub.com


Next year the VGC rally is in Spitzerberg, Austria, just the other side of Vienna!
 
See you there,


Martin Smith

No comments: