Tuesday 7th December 2010–Matt’s 16th Birthday

Today is Matthew Wiles’ 16th birthday and today he flew his first solo. On his 2nd solo flight Matthew stayed airborne in wave for 34 minutes to record his first Bonze Leg. Excellent

Matthew is the 10th pilot to solo (or re-solo) at DGS this year. This would be a good number for a club many times our size . Excellent

Many thanks to all the club members including DCFI Mark Courtney who came to the airfield to make today happen.

Matthew is congratulated by his family
 This is how Matt saw the day..

After a morning of exams, which I'm sure to fail after the thought of going solo a few hours away distracted me. But at 12.20 when they finished my mum drove me up to the gliding club. With Robin Wilson, David Rippon, Bob Jones, Mark Courtney and of course my dad all setting up the airfield ready for my arrival I was ready to go, thanks guys!!

So after a very nervous check flight the task of going solo after 6 years was here. So after the 1400ft launch, I took the chance to go left and get ready for my circuit when I hit a bit of wave which gave me 8 up on the vario!! Could it have been? I kept flying and kept going up. Amazed at my luck I kept flying until I reached 2000ft. So with that under my belt I opened full airbrake and made a decent to do a citcuit. I touched down after 17 minutes.

I got briefed by my instructor Mark to keep an eye on the airfield to make sure I didn't get caught out by fog and then away I went again but this time I was armed with a watch with an aim to get my bronze leg. It wasn't as easy as my flight before, there I was scratching away on tiny bits of wave, but then, I hit the good stuff and climbed to 2100ft once again. At 30 minutes I opened full airbrakes and practised my sideslip down. Then a circuit and land, 34 minutes and bronze leg.

I was extremely lucky to get this day, who would have thought it? I certainly didn't!!

Then it was time to go to the clubhouse, warm up and drink a cup of tea and to bug Mark to sign off my first bronze leg. All of this could not have been acheived without the help and support of the whole club.

What an amazing birthday present!!

Thanks all!

Matt

I think he said it all.

Steve

No comments: