9th – 11th July 2011 Nympsfield Expedition

David Jesty in his e-mail to all members promised thermals to die for. He is a man of his word.

David suggested that Sunday and Monday was looking good so Chris Kaminski and I decided to go on a mini expedition and as I had already planned to go the Yeovilton Air show on the Saturday I continued north arriving at Nympsfield on Saturday evening. Chris planned to arrive on Sunday evening.
At the morning weather briefing on Sunday, which was the last day of Nympsfield task week, the outlook was not that good and also the forecast for Monday showed that after a good morning it would overdevelop after lunch.

As David went off to fly his 175Km task, I had to opportunity to fly with Russ, Nympsfield’s cross country instructor. We had an hours flight soaring to 4000ft during which he honed my soaring , did some field landing selection work and generally helped improve my flying skills. Later I flew the Grob 102 solo for 12 minutes and then for 3minutes !!!! Still a good day though.

Chris arrived Sunday evening so we all went to the pub for supper.

On Monday the forecast for the day appeared better than originally thought although still overdeveloping during the afternoon This resulted in an impressive grid with at least 12 gliders in the launch queue by 10.30 am together with David and Chris in the DG 500 complete with tips and myself in the baby Grob.

I launched on the 4th pair of cables at 11.30 and enjoyed the best and longest flight I've ever had, soaring to cloud base of 3000ft initially which subsequently rose up over 4000ft and returning reluctantly at 2 pm to an empty airfield from over 3000ft with air brake as I had run out of water.

David and Chris launched a little later than myself and had over 2 1/2 hours soaring and cross country flying to Chris's great delight . When I enquired as why they had returned I was told that it something to do with Chris's bladder !!!

Later the afternoon did deteriorate with 3 of the gliders landing out in distant fields.

Both Chris and I had a very successful and enjoyable sojourn to Nympsfield and we both thank David very much .

Andrew









No comments: