Thursday 8th March 2012

After a quick email the day before, I managed to round up a group of enthusiastic pilots (plus a winch driver!) to fly on Thursday before the Kelly College CCF cadets arrived.

Things kicked off nice and early with a cooked breakfast, courtesy of Don and Pauline - heartily enjoyed by Ged, Don, Pauline and I. Whilst we were fuelling up for the day, the rest of the team arrived; Steve Raine, Mike Gadd and Matt Mackay. After we had our fill, we proceeded to set the kit up. I had a good feeling about the day, and Don must have too as he instructed to take all four aircraft to the launch point.

The DGS runway hiding in the cloud shadow.
The day's flying commenced with Mike having a few launches in the Zugvogel without any real success, similar to myself in the K8. Upon Don's command, I hopped out of the K8 and prepared myself for a conversion to the Zugvogel, I must say that the nerves were certainly kicking in at this point but we pulled the aircraft on to line and I was ready to go. A couple of minutes prior, Matt had launched in the K8 and appeared to be going round in circles under some clouds... I knew where I was heading! 

Richards view of the Zugvogel cockpit
With my second bronze leg in the back of my mind, I took my first launch in the Zugvogel. It was a fantastic experience, like nothing I had experienced before. Once I had released the cable, I turned the vario up to full volume and made for the direction of the K8, which was still in the air and climbing! I made my way up to the cloud base at 3000', headed towards Brentor Church and my lift vanished - sink at 10 down come in it's place. I hastily returned to the east and found lift again. My this point I saw that half an hour was up: I had my second bronze leg and subsequently, completed my bronze! I started to head back to the airfield, using my height to experience stalling in the Zugvogel. Once I was back at circuit height, I came back in and landed. I was met with Don's usual 'oh no, only 29 minutes!' followed by a grin and a 'congratulations' - it was actually 42 minutes. Matt Mackay was also ecstatic as as he had also achieved a bronze leg with 44 minutes - the longest flight of the day.

Ricgard and Matt look very pleased with themselves
I hastily handed over the Zugvogel to Mike Gadd and he went to try and find the same lift as we did, but to no avail. Robin Wilson then had a few launches and managed a quarter of an hour, but it seemed that the best of the conditions had already gone. Meanwhile, Steve Raine took his first flights in a single seater by converting to the K8
Steve Raine on final approach after his first flight in the K8
By 1500, we had hangar landed the single seaters and prepared the K13's for the cadet's arrival. 

When they arrived, I ensured a slick operation, bringing in my experience from the Air Training Corps to make sure they had the most launches possible. Bob Jones had arrived to help on the ground. He took the north side of the launch point with two cadets, and I did the same on the south side. We had 6 cadets come to the club this week, and all six flew. Don and Ged took DMX and BVB with the cadets. Some had their first flights in a glider, and others were furthering their skills, including some good landings - well done guys!

BVB launches with another cadet on board
At 1745, we wrapped up the day's flying. The cadets had had a great afternoon flying, and I think they were brilliant on the ground with the ground handling - they are to be commended!

All in all a fantastic day. 

My thanks go to Don for pushing me to complete my bronze and giving me the 'buzz' again for gliding. I owe him an awful lot for that and I certainly wouldn't have achieved it without him.

Richard Williamson

Phew! So summarise. Two bronze legs, a completed bronze badge, two type conversions, a successful cadet flying session and a good breakfast. 


A fantastic day indeed.


Steve

No comments: