Sunday 15th April 2012–Mike Jardine’s Field landing

I arrived on Sunday to find other Saturday flyers at the airfield with aspirations of distance and duration . The RASP forecasts were the focus of discussion.

As the morning wore on gliders were starting to stay up; conditions were getting better. Rick Wiles was on the radio inviting me to join him at 4000 feet south of Okehampton. Phil was long gone on his attempt to get to North Hill. I was on my 4th launch trying to find a thermal to get me going.

By 1.45 pm I was off again again. It took some finding but in the end I found a thermal over the airfield to take me to 4,500 feet. I joined Rick who was keeping at cloud base over Lydford gorge.

I started to head for Meldon reservoir but twice had to turn back and top up the height. Third time lucky 3,200 feet and over the moors heading for Okehampton services on the A30.

Ok, next objective was to get across the A30 on track for Crediton. Height was beginning to go and so were the thermals , the sky was overdeveloping. A few turns in the only lift I could find and a top up of 200 feet.

Crediton was getting nearer but height was now down to 2000 feet, time to pick a field; it wouldn't be North Hill today. A good field was sighted , good size , shape ,no obstacles, into wind and near a farm maybe a cup of tea awaited.

A good flight around the field, good approach and pleased with the landing, my best one of the day , A quick phone call to David Parker who had agreed to be my retrieve. Now to go and find the owner of the field.
Mike Jardine ( left )and the Gillards whose field he is in.
I was soon joined by the farmers, the Gillard family, who with their quad bike towed me from my landing area to locate the glider near to a gate for easy access to the road. Their assistance was greatly appreciated.

All in all lots of learning and experience gained , those apron strings tying me to Brentor cut and flying over new areas. North Hill next time.

Once again a big thanks to my retrieve driver Dave without whom I couldn't have gone for the attempt and to the Gillards who made me welcome in their field.

Mike Jardine

No comments: