Tuesday 11th September 2012 - Andrew's 50 km

Great news. Andrew Beaumont completed his 50 km cross country silver leg in his Astir CS today.
Andrew in the Astir CS with syndicate parter Phil.

Here is what he had to say.

Just to let you know that I completed my 50K silver distance flight, but failing the height gain by a couple of hundred ft for the second time in a fortnight. Flew from Nympsfield to Rivar Hill, some 65K in Ihr 36mins although I messed around for a while even returning to Nympsfield before setting off. 

I became lowish halfway, picked a field before climbing again and then had a good 1000ft gain to 3600ft (QFE) some 15km out and a final glide downwind to finish. Logger says my final glide angle was 46 to 1 so I arrived at about 2400ft QFE. ( Rivar hill being 30ft higher than NYM ) Only one problem was that battery failed half way,and as the electric vario stopped I wasn't so keen to try returning home. Fortunately the logger had new batteries.

It was a good day

David Jesty on the other hand flew upwind to Talgarth to fly the ridges before returning to very generously retreive me. Many thanks to him.

Andrew

Steve

No comments: