Sunday 3rd March 2013 - Barry's Story

Sunday, 2 gliders landed out. The Zugvogel was landed out by Barry Green. Here is his view of the day's events

3/3/13 A numerologist could have a "field day" with the date of last Sunday. Only the K8 and the serviceable k13 were out to fly. I asked Martin Cropper if I could get the Zugvogel from the hangar and he readily agreed. The poor old Zugvogel not having been used for a while, needed a quick wash before the DI

The Zugvogel looking mean and moody. ( and clean )
Wave was clearly forming but the cloudbase was low, approx 1000 feet QFE ( height above airfield ) and little blue sky was showing. Martin launched with Wynn, a visitor from North Hill. The K13 disappeared from view as it climbed in front of the wave bar. The K8 was launched only to contact cloud well below 1000 feet.

I eventually had a launch in the Zugvogel as there was some blue in the slots, found only turbulence, from 6 to 8 up, then EXTREME down. If you have flown the Zugvogel you will know that the vario sink audio sounds like the Knell Of Doom, and I was soon returned to Terra  Firma. Trevor,with his 19 metres of supership, said I had not penetrated far enough forward. Maybe he was right, my wave experience is limited!!!

A little later,after a bite of lunch, things looked a little better. Alan Holland,who was in the control  tower, urged me to go again. so I said ,"I will bring it back in a half hour or so".

The launch was not good. I only got 870 feet QFE, probably due to suppression by the wave. However, remembering Trevor’s advice, I pushed forward to be rewarded with broken lift. Gradually it became more defined until the vario began screaming with the needle hard against the upper stop. This is good, I thought, I`ll have more. It was possible at this time to have used the altimeter as a vario so rapidly did the needle move.

The view through the gaps was a little limited. 
 All of this time I had in mind Alan Holland’s last words,"Keep Mary Tavy in view as a fix".  I could not see Mary Tavy but I could clearly see the edge of Black Down  and I determined it would have to do (mistake!!).  All this time the Zugvogel is climbing merrily,and as I passed through 4000 feet. QFE,  I began to see that the view below was somewhat limited, BUT I could still see Black Down. All is well I thought.

Looking over the cloud tops
Now at between 4400 and 4500 above the field, and well above the crests of the wave clouds, the view was mind blowing. Several miles to the North the cloud upper surface was formed into perfect sine wave clouds, miles long. The cloud cover appeared almost 100%,with a few small slots giving glimpses of moor and field far below. Above a brilliant blue sky and blazing sun. Bliss. I flew to the east, passing over the main wave bar  and into the slot upwind, only open moor visible below, and that very limited. Back downwind to my original slot. Black Down still reassuringly in view,

Upwind towards the next wave bar.
A glance at my watch showed 25 minutes elapsed. Time to get the Zugvogel back for Alan. The lift was still extreme and I had full airbrake plus spiral to get down quickly. I was careful not to get drifted into the wave cloud as I descended past  them, very turbulent in there!! Finally my view extended as I got lower, though very hazy. Looking to where I fully expected to see Brentor Church and our field but I recognised nothing.

Sh--ugar, I thought, calm down, plenty of landable fields, should they become needed. I finally realised that I was to the West of Lydford.  How could that be?  Back to the matter in hand, how far can I get toward Brentor? Cruising forward  all is going well  no lift  but I am in zeroes. However as I flew above the Lydford valley big sink got me. Should I turn and land to the west? or try to sneak across? I could see several landable fields on the Eastern upslope ahead,and as I prefer to land upslope the decision was made to press on.

I thought, as I approached, that the landing would be in the field alongside the minor road twixt Lydford and Brentor,but as I approached it became evident this would have been marginal.  So nose down, airbrake open, lots of speed to round out up into the considerable upslope of my undershoot field. A very short ground run. A sigh of relief. Too soon, however, for as I relaxed the glider,still wings level,began to roll backwards, the ground,once soft,now firm was not a help,the roll went on for approx. 40 yards with me pulling on the airbrake lever.The wheel brake did help.I think,and she finally came to rest.

Getting out of the Zugvogel was the usual struggle.The retrieve that followed was also a struggle but thanks to Collins van and willing helpers it was accomplished AOK. I had to apologise to Alan, as he had missed his flight, but he was very gracious.

The retrieve, later on, of the K8 from the boondocks, in the dark, with a strong ice cold wind is another "Tale for the Bar". The night view of Orion and bright stars made it almost worthwhile.

Barry Green

No comments: