Andrews Week at the Cross Country Course

The cross country training week at Nympsfield was a bit blown away by the strong winds all week but we did get to fly on Friday and Saturday.

On Friday Ged attempted a 300k up to Craven Arms and then down through the Welsh hills but sadly he landed out on a mountain some distance north of Talgarth.
Phil had the Astir and attempted the 200 task ( they didn't set a 100 task ) and again sadly landed out east of  Gloucester.

I had a 200 km  flight in the DG505,  Nympsfield – Shobdon – Sennybridge – Nympsfield, with Steve Eyles . We succeeded but very nearly landed out twice ,once at Great Malvern when we were below the hill at about 800ft and secondly somewhere west of Shobdon near where Ged landed.

I had a very long retrieve to get Ged and Steve kindly fetched Phil.

On Saturday I had the Astir and decided to do the club 100k which was  Nympsfield—Bishops Cleeve (northwest )  --- Shipton under Wichwood . The trouble was that there was a NOTAM for Prince Charles  restricting flights over 3000 QNH over Nympsfield from 2.15 to 3.30 so I waited until 1 ish before launching. Failed to get away as the cloud base up gone up significantly.

Bit depressed so had lunch when at about 2.45 Christof launched and got away so I thought if he could do it so could I .

Andrew's glider in his small field
Surprisingly I got away but couldn't soar above 2300 QFE until 3.30 so I hung around at about 2000 ft until 3.25 when I decided to go for it . Stonking climbs over Stroud and even better over Cheltenham to over 5000ft in blue , turned Bishops Cleeve and then in blue all the way to Shipton under Wichwood by which time it was past 5'oclock. I decided to land out so found a smallish field and landed !! The photos were taken from a kite by Hamish Fenton www.photo.hdf.me.uk. Total flight 67 km with silver height. Phil who hadn't flown kindly fetched me.

The Astir really looks small
Andrew







No comments: