Dartmoor Gliding News–Sunday 16th March 2014

Like many other members I have been keenly watching the changeable weather forecasts over the last few days wondering what to expect (not least as I knew I would be quizzed on my knowledge of the F214 and F215 charts available from the Aviation Met Office, as well as NOTAMs).  It was therefore slightly frustrating to see bright sunshine on my way up from Cornwall, and to hear from other members of more bright sunshine on the way down from Torquay, and on the way up on Plymouth, to arrive at the club in heavy mist.  Still this being Dartmoor the weather can change very quickly so the gliders were wheeled out in anticipation.

K13 launching into a low cloudbase
I was indeed quizzed on the weather charts and I think I even managed to persuade Don that I half understood what I was talking about when interpreting the information and abbreviations.  Don even helped me with some of the abbreviations and I now know that BR is officially Mist, otherwise known as Baby Rain, also that GR is officially Hail (5 mm or more in diameter), otherwise known as a Granite Rain.  Thanks Don :)  Of equal use was Dave Parker (and I don't get to write that phrase very often) who showed me how to check the weather charts and NOTAMs on my smart phone, giving me no excuses in future.

Darren gets a briefing
Anyway onto the flying, the cloud base was not increasing so Don saw this as a great opportunity for some practice low-level launch failures with Dave Parker and myself initially bearing the brunt of his enthusiasm.  When the South cable of the Gus launch decided to jam itself up for a couple of hours we knew that this would not be the busiest day of the year.  However Don then had one of his brainwaves - what to do with his new Cloud Flying Endorsement and examiner status?  There was only one answer as young Peter Clifford first found out, followed by the likes of Darren Wills and Roger Appleboom - to fly where no one had flown before on Dartmoor, straight into cloud to practice recovery procedures, which he did very successfully and to everybody's great satisfaction.

Well I'm ready where is Don? Darren thinking about the flight ahead
The Junior section.
In the meantime young Andrew Swann continued his solo flying in the K8 with 3 short, but perfectly executed, circuits, and grandfather Mike continued his own training with Don as well as continuing to pop up and help out whenever somebody was needed.  Michael Larkin was the final beneficiary of some short circuits before the cloud base finally got too low around 3:30 PM.  Luke missed out on some flying yet again so better luck next week and hope to see you at the club nice and early.

Mike Larkin on final approach with Don in the K13
Whilst all this was going on our winch master, Rick, had managed to sneak away on a Sunday to give some valuable winch training to Roger and Dave, who have been successfully signed off on Gus, and myself who will need to get a few more flights under my belt before also being signed off - Darren you are next in line!!!
So from an inauspicious start we actually all agreed that this was a fabulous day's training and thank you Don for your efforts in putting together a slightly unusual and invaluable day

Jerry Wellington

No comments: