Ged and Mike Fly at Aston Down 11th-14th April 2014

Great weekends' flying in the Cotswolds, got all 3 legs of my Silver C (height, duration, and distance), plus my 100Km diploma (part 1) in one glorious flight on Friday. Thanks to Ged for allowing me exclusive use of the glider on a fabulous day to allow this to happen. (height yet be to verified from calibrated logger) 

On the first leg with a view of Cheltenham
Saturday, although was flyable, was not soarable, so the decision was made to scrub that day and be sociable in and around the club. In the evening we enjoyed the facilities of the clubhouse and attended the 'Cloud Flying' briefing to get signatures on forms required towards the EASA cloud flying endorsement.

Ged in task planning mode
On Sunday, in more challenging conditions with lower cloudbase and light lift, Ged flew a careful 100km task (The Aston Down - 'Housden Cup' club 100 triangle from AST-KIM-BRO-AST). This was excellent flying that included a low save to get him back to site.

Waiting in the grid
Then on Monday, with an improved forecast, we agreed to share the aircraft, but again Ged offered me first go with the airplane to attempt a task. I selected the same task as Ged flew on Sunday, but this time in reverse (AST-BRO-KIM-SAT) as the sky was looking better that way around. After getting in the air, conditions were so strong, I decided after my initial climb to get on with the task, quickly. I flew most this at 60kts, and crossed the finish line after a 22km final glide at 140kph, completing the task in 1:44. For part 2 of the 100km diploma, I needed a handicapped speed of 65kph, and I managed 63.9 - just short of what I needed, so perhaps another day then!

The "Housden Cup" task
Ged then took the aircraft for a couple hours of local soaring, before we put it back in the box and headed for home.

In summary we flew successful tasks (Ladder submitted) on 3 days out of 4 and totalled 13 hours of airtime between us. Very happy to be fortunate to be at the right place at the right time. Aston Down were as friendly and welcome as usual, this is my second visit to this well equipped club, and I would highly recommend it.

Thanks again to Ged, who gave me prime slots with the aircraft - I owe him the same next time.

Mike Gadd







No comments: