Dartmoor Gliding News-Thursday 28th April 2016

With a call out for a mid week get-together, many ​of the potential candidates were away so with a diminishing from excellent to okay RASP forecast, Richard Roberts and myself along with helpers David Bourchier & David Downton​ decided to have a look anyway.​

Just the two of us enjoying the full width of the field
with help from Dave Bourchier and Dave Downton
​Richard and I managed to get airborne about 11:30​ into broken conditions low down, but both managed to climb away to 4000ft QNH.​

The Tamar ​​and Tavy (& Bere Ferrers bottom right)​
​Bere Alston
The last I saw of Richard was heading North, I guess towards mid Devon and then to North Hill (wait for his news on that one). I had agreed to remain local so I could pick Richard up, so decided to try and stretch my glide as far North and South as I could go. The sea from the North closed off anywhere north and west of Roadford, so I visited Launceston, then headed South to a better sky over Plymouth. Over Plymouth conditions were excellent, giving easy 4kt climbs under convergence and heavy cumulus. I enjoyed exploring Plymouth by air, always within glide to DGS, with fantastic visibility, the images here don't really do it justice.

Over Northern ​​Plymouth looking out to sea.
I air braked down after 2.5 hours (nature calling), with a developing sky that developed into
heavy sleet showers 20 mins after I landed. I then awaited a call from Richard....

Mike Gadd

And he didn't have to wait too long for the call.

Richard Roberts had reached North Hill under reasonable conditions and turned back to Brentor for a 136km cross country. The flight went well until just before Okehampton when a line of showers cut off any further progress to the west. Discretion being the better part of valour, a return to, and a landing at, North Hill ensued. A call to Mike, still at Bentor, soon had Richard's van and trailer combo on the way to North Hill for a road retrieve. Both were made very welcome at North Hill and an uneventful return to Brentor completed a nice flying day.

Steve

No comments: