Dartmoor Gliding- 360km in One flight by Richard Roberts 04.05.2019

Preparation, preparation, preparation – this is the key!

On the Tuesday before phone/text messages started between Pilots, and the rasp/forecast was watched daily, although it changed during the week, Saturday looked good whichever way you interpreted it.
The previous night, batteries were charged, chart was marked, computer programmed (old school- but it works)

The day arrived:-

The view driving to Tavistock
I arrived at the club at 7.15am, got things started, being joined by a few early birds, kit all sorted.
The sky was already showing good signs by 9.30am, with winch cables changed and equipment dealt with (thanks to all).

I rigged and was put on line for 12pm start, I climbed away first time up to 3500ft and set off over Dartmoor. I hooked up to a good energy line and my next thermal was Crediton, on any day – a good thing, but today into a 22 knot head-wind, - epic!

Selfie while enjoying the day
Continuing with inter thermal speed of 70-80 knots, it was going well. It got slower when I got to Mendip, and then had to track south past Trowbridge, and stay clear of Bristol airspace.

2pm. It was looking a bit softer on my next track North. (Wales was looking really good still).I decided to push North until 3pm, I calculated the tailwind on way home would give me a chance of getting home in the remaining 3hrs, as per rasp. By 3pm. I was near Chippenham and the softer clouds gave lower climb rate than I had been getting, a lack of sun on the ground ahead made me think to spread out. Forecast in the body of the UK was having a cooling effect, so I convinced myself I was doing the right thing and turned South.

After circumnavigating the Bristol airspace again, my track was much easier, even though the wind was a strong Northerly the North of my track still looked better. (Apologies for lack of photos on the way up – I was concentrating- not sight- seeing! Did better on way back though). Back at Dartmoor 1.5hrs later, wheel down ready to land, and as is the way- hit 8 knots –no matter how long the flight – you just can’t turn that down:-

Best average ever - 10 Knots!!
So straight back up to 5000ft, ran off to Plymouth East BGA turnpoint. –(Marshmillsflyover for the locals).

Plymouth Sound from 5000 feet
Flew bit further to Plymstock so I could fly over my house and wave to the Wife!

She would have needed good eyesight to see me - but I waved anyway
Back to DGS at 80 knots, this flight reminds me just why we are GLIDING! - Only happens with forward planning though. Information I held back was my actual declared task: This was to be out and return 500km to Telford South. Due to weather forecast stating Wales was good all day. This actually becomes a 600km flight Re, avoiding Bristol airspace.

The task and track
The flight statistics - BGA Ladder

So, to sum up, was I too ambitious? partly yes.  The wind was too strong to try this and I needed
to be faster and also launch with water.

Will I try it again? Will I prepare ‘just in case’ with every good forecast? Answer is yes.

Does it matter that I only managed 360km, well a great flight, memorable entries in my logbook,
says I would do it all over again!

JUST BE PREPARED  

By Richard Roberts

No comments: