Sunday 13th May 2012

After spending Saturday preparing glider and trailer for an attempt to North Hill on Sunday, I took a gamble and left the SF outside, rigged and ready to go, we were greeted by a perfect day for the attempt. Forecast westerly wind giving a tailwind of 15 knots, predicted 3.5 to 5 knot thermals all day. 

I got as far as Meldon before hitting sink at 3800 feet, in the light of the telling off, ( or should I say  debrief  )  from Don,  I realised I should have pressed on for the next lift as I only had a gap of 20 miles to cross before the home leg to North Hill. Armed with this insight and renewed optimism, I tried again but failed to get the height I found earlier until a climb to 2600ft in a thermal just before base leg at 600ft, too late in the day. I learned a good lesson, plan better ! but at least I now have a good idea how my 47 year old glider will perform on longer flights.

Ian Mitchell arrived early with his Rotax Falke and flew one visitor and 3 club members who are working on their field landing and navigation tests  I understand Roger Appleboom gained a bronze leg in a K13 of 45 minutes but got his ear bent because it was needed, as the K8 was U/S the only aircraft available to early solo pilots was one of the  K13s, the other being utilised for Trial Lessons.

Martin Smith was keen to fly something but as there was nothing on the field he could squeeze into I let him fly the SF27, so he is now current.

Jim Woolford a visiting experienced pilot came to fly with us but  found he could not fit into the Zugvogel so flew the K13 at the end of the day, we waited patiently for him to land after the airfield had been cleared and gliders put to bed, he seemed to enjoy the visit.

Alan Carter

No comments: