Friday 26th October 2012

Club member Mike Gadd and I have been discussing lee wave flying and how we might forecast good wave conditions. Mike lives very close to the airfield and today this was useful.

This morning Mike was out walking on Gibbet Hill ( Blackdown ) which is the hill immediately to the north of the airfield. He noticed that there was a definite wave slot with some signs of lenticular clouds above and he sent me these photos which I thought might be of interest to a wider audience.

View from Gibbet looking south - Cox Tor on the left - the airfield is just out of shot to the right.
Wave slot and lenticular  above

View from Gibbet looking SSE - Cox Tor on left 
 Interestingly the RASP wave forecast shown below shows this wave ( yellow and red colours). It also shows that the potential wave bar runs all the way to the north coast. I wish I could have flown today to find out.
RASP wave forecast for 0900 BST.

Steve

No comments: