Sunday 2nd December 2012 – Mike and Roger at Shenington

After helping to organise a recent trip to Shenington for my cross endorsement which was subsequently cancelled due to bad weather, then missing what was rescheduled for the following week (last week) with Steve Raine and David Rippon, I was delighted to get an email from Don on Friday to let me know he was planning a trip up there for Sunday. So I re-organised a few things and after getting the 214, 215 and NOTAMS, I headed up there first thing Sunday morning to meet Don and Roger Appleboom.

Getting the T61 ready on a very frosty morning
An early start was planned to be well ahead of the approaching warm front forecast, so I left at 6am to get to Shenington at 09:45, just in time to see Roger depart on his flight in the T61 Venture with Don on a cold but still and beautiful winter day. So time to drink tea and chat with some friendly local flying enthusiasts, to get some local info on the site, then a final check on the weather and NOTAMS.

Two hours later a grinning Roger and Don landed.

So it was my turn then, here goes, let’s see how much all the reading and studying of charts, air law, compass, field selection etc. had sunk in. I had had mixed feelings, of a little nervousness, (mostly associated with my own confidence to make good judgements), and excitement to go and play with a motor glider with someone I like flying with! Once re-fuelled, strapped in and taxiing however, all I felt was focused and excitement, I had been really looking forward to this.

 Mike ( left hand seat ) and Don ready to go
Don takes care of the take-off and landing, but once in the air I had control, so after a few turns building altitude to about 2500 feet  QHN, I turned to 090 and set off on my planned 100km triangle. The first thing I noticed was how well a 1:500,000 chart actually works at a height of about 2000. Loving maps as I do, particularly Ordinance Survey, I had been concerned that an air-chart would not show what I wanted it to. But in the air I found that the chart really did provide me with what I needed to know, whilst I could then get on with enjoying the view and flying the motor glider.

In a short time my first turn point of Silverstone circuit came into view, and although I knew it was Silverstone, Don needed me to prove it to him by identifying other marks on the chart with what I can see on the ground, the gliders track/ heading, all compared with my own expectations. So off to my next turn point and once Don was happy that I could actually navigate, we decided to fly off-track to find some fields to play with.
Can I find somewhere down there to land?
After some confusion in my head over the wind direction, and a demo from Don, I would select a field; lose more height, still happy? yes, ok, then get into circuit and focus on putting it down safely. When the point is reached on finals when you both know that the landing is going to work, the brakes are put away, and the engine powered back up to climb out for another go somewhere else.

Once we were both happy with my attempts Don then took back control, and we headed back to Shenington to land for a civilised lunch perfectly prepared by Roger – thanks Roger!

1.5 hours airtime, flying a chosen course in a motor glider that was nice to fly, followed by some field landing
practice – what fun – I really enjoyed it and have decided to make it an annual thing, and I now feel more confident about heading off away from the club which I hope to do next year.

Shenington GC are a friendly bunch, I like the site and hope to return again soon

Roger and I passed and lots of thanks to Don Puttock for his time and efforts to do this for us, he seems to enjoy it as much as we do!

Now all I need is the illusive 2 hour soaring flight to complete my XCE. I’ve had 1.5, 1.45 and 1.50 this summer all short of what I needed. Winter wave, spring thermal and currency should sort that out.

My advice to anyone wanting to do this, is lots of preparation – but mostly enjoy it, whether you pass or not, it’s good fun.

Mike Gadd

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done Mike, may even see you at base next spring. Enjoy the winter wave.

Dougie