DGS News – My 50km flight Mike Jardine.

A check on the Friday RASP and it all looks good for Saturday. North Hill possibly ? An 8.30am start at the airfield , Ged was already preparing for his 300k .

Gliders rigged , a few words with Don , NOTAMS , route etc. and then down to the launch point. Some food and water packed, radio checked  , QFE and QNH pressure settings noted on my map , GPS set for Brentor to give me an idea as to distance away from the launch point . It starts with a good ' Scratch ' launch , find the lift and then soon up to 3,000 feet and heading out for the first 10 miles to Okehampton.

The next hour and 20 minutes spent between Milford reservoir and Lyford Gorge loosing and gaining height. Radio check with Brentor to confirm my position and height 2,600 , keep persevering was the advise from Dave Parker. One more dark cloud to try and I was soon above  3,800 feet and off for Okehampton .Okay look for the best clouds , what looks like the best route from this cloud to the next cloud  , where are their shadows on the ground , head for the nearest.

I made steady progress to Okehampton from cloud to cloud , overhead the town at 3,200 feet. The GPS indicated 10 miles from Brentor , another climb and back up to 3,800 feet. Ok radio check with Brentor , I'm heading now for Crediton , re set the GPS for North hill   , with Map , GPS course and moving from cloud to cloud and keeping to the sunny side which seemed to work for me height was maintained between 3,600 and 4,000 feet. The miles were counting down on the GPS. Having Changed to QNH en route another 800 feet was gained , 4,800 feet and the clouds are now streeting.

2.8 miles to North Hill. What a great looking day.
 At 7 miles from North hill on the GPS , 3,800 feet and there is Dunkeswell and yes now I can see North hill I know I can get there , I can start to relax and enjoy the views. The Exe estuary , Exeter Airport , M5 traffic it looks busy. I arrive North of North hill 3,000 feet back on QFE , plenty of looking out for activity , which way are they launching and landing , which side of the airfield do they use for each , a K21 on a left hand down wind for me to observe. Okay I have the set up now. Time to loose height , no rush still taking in the views , a Radio call to North hill to advise my position and intention.

Finally down to 1000 feet , radio call , downwind left hand to the airfield , then on to the approach and landing some 2 hours 57 minutes after my launch , fantastic , maybe a little slow but so was the tortoise.

North Hill at last - Brilliant
I was given a very warm welcome and lots of assistance from all at North hill much appreciated. A familiar figure of Mark Courtney came across to assist and offer a cup of tea and then sign my paper work.

All in all a very satisfying day , a good learning session and an opportunity to puts lots of advice into practice.

It all came together on the day.

A Final thanks to Steve Raine who came to retrieve me .

Mike Jardine

No comments: