Matthews First Field Landing

Noticing that the weather was looking very promising I arrived at the club early with my father to set up the top field. My plan was to practise some cross country flying before taking part in the ICL which is fast approaching. I would also be able to practise flying with the clubs new GliderGuider which is a great addition to the club. With the help of Steve Lewis I managed to set a small task: Brent Tor to Okehampton East to Roadford Reservoir to Brent Tor. In addition to this I was going to attempt to get my five hours soaring for my Silver C.

Matthew and the Pirat
Off the winch launch, just after 1115, I went straight into the centre of a thermal allowing me to climb to cloud base of 3500ft QFE. With the thought of turning my back on the airfield for the first time filling me with dread I decided to cross the start line and just go for it so I no longer had to think about it. Taking every thermal I could I managed to get to Okehampton with minimal trouble - fighting the wind was the hardest part. Just before Okehampton was when the trouble began, the thermals began to deteriorate and I was scratching around, luckily I managed to find a thermal and get myself back to cloud base which was now down to 3000ft QFE. Having being pushed back downwind and away from my turning point I turned and 'dolphined' over Okehampton trying to reach my first turnpoint.

Unfortunately, there was a lot of sink and not much lift, the weather had over-developed and the thermals were decaying and the sky was looking terribly blue. I had a big field picked out with another big field just beyond if I was to overshoot but I still was trying my hardest to ease every little bit out of any thermal I could find.

Just before my first turnpoint the realisation that I was going to have to land in a field for the first time hit me, I forgot everything else and let my training kick in. I turned onto finals and opened the airbrakes. Don's voice from my cross country endorsement came in my head: 'are you going to make it?' The answer was 'yes Don I am', but alas, this time I didn't have Don just to apply the engine so we could just fly away again.

Safely in the field
 So there I was, halfway up the field calling up the club to arrange a crew to come and collect me. Thank god they did as it was getting very cold and I was getting a bit peckish. Next time I will take my wallet with me as there was a nice place right next to my field where I could have bought some hot grub - a lesson to learn - money is a must! So, I landed out with class - far away from the airfield and not right next to it, so I would call that a success! Thanks go to Steve Lewis, Andrew Beaumont and Martin Broadway for leaving the thermals and coming to get me; further thanks to Phil Hardwick who allowed us to use his car to tow the trailer.

On the way back to the airfield
It was a great experience and something I'll most certainly try in the future as its what gliding is all about! I’m now incredibly excited for the ICL, that's for sure!

Matthew Wiles

No comments: