Dartmoor Gliding News- Wednesday 17th September 2014

The forecast was for strong easterly winds. The atmospheric soundings looked favourable for wave. There were wave clouds all across Plymouth as I left for the airfield. There was also signs of rotor turbulence with some trees apparently still while others looked ready to break off.  Today was planned to be a non instruction day so there would be plenty of opportunity to fly my own glider.

At the airfield there was a healthy number of pilots around but very little action as everyone was a little concerned about the conditions. So, like penguins waiting to dive off their ice flow, we needed someone to go first.  We picked a volunteer and decided to launch Ged in his Twin Astir to test out the conditions and he promptly went soaring for an hour before returning to pronounce it flyable with care with large smooth areas and the usual turbulent rotors over the airfield.

If you have never experienced wave flying in a glider, you may be wondering what all the fuss is about. I thought that I would describe my own flight to allow you to make up your own minds.

Yours truly with the Jantar1
We quickly rigged the Jantar 1 and towed to the launch point while Ged was still airborne. Strapped in, canopy on, cable on, ready to go. The windsock was waving around like the arm of a demented orchestral conductor. So could be a little rough then.

“Take up slack”, deep breath,”All out”. The Jantar leaves the ground in it’s own length, my own hand is now mimicking the windsock as I keep the wings level. Rotating into the climb I set the flaps to +1 and the climb continues. At 1100 feet the launch goes smooth and I release at 1500 feet. Great launch.

Flaps 0, undercarriage up, push forward at 60knots, smooth air, here is the wave. Slowing down to 40 knots, flaps +1, and the variometers creep above 0. Turning across the wind and feeling for the strongest lift, I manage to find an average rate of climb at about 0.6 knots. Not fast but I am climbing in beautifully smooth air. Relax. The lift peters out just south of Tavistock so I turn to the north to retrace my steps along the wave. And so the flight continues flying alternately north and south along the wave bar always in smooth lift.

The tempting wave clouds
At 5000 feet I am comfortably above the lower level wave clouds and can see a really nice looking wave cloud to the north which looks like it will provide stronger lift. So flaps –1, 75 knots and off to the cloud. On the way the rotor is very active with the variometers showing full up and then full down as the aircraft bounces around in the violent air. The cloud does in fact produce much stronger lift but it is very rough and I decide to bravely return to my original wave bar where I continue the climb in smooth lift.

Looking east across Dartmoor
At 8000 feet I am approaching the upper cloud layer and there is no obvious way to continue the climb. I relax for a few minutes as the Jantar continues quietly on, the only noise is the whispering of the air passing by and the comforting beep from the variometer. We are over a mile and a half above the airfield, the views while not stunning have an ethereal quality through the hazy air.

The view towards Plymouth with the Tavy, Tamar and Lynher estuaries on view with Milbrook Lake and Plymouth Sound beyond
Time to go. So, a good look around, particularly underneath, flaps 0, 65 knots, full airbrake, wheel down. The descent rate settles to 800 feet per minute as I spiral down above Mary Tavy. 10 minutes to landing then. Taking more interest in the airfield now I see there is a glider in the middle of the runway. They seem to be taking their time clearing the glider so at 3000 feet I put the airbrakes away, intending to delay the descent for a couple of minutes as I really want an empty runway just in case. The wave is really strong now and without trying the averager shows a climb rate of 5.8 knots and by the time runway is clear I am back to 4000 feet.

Descending towardsMary Tavy  
Another good look all around and airbrakes out to continue the descent,  initially spiralling down overhead Mary Tavy and then moving to the south side of the airfield for a right hand circuit. I start the circuit at 1800 feet still with the airbrakes out and 65 knots as I fly into the rotor. The aircraft bounces around but I have flown in worse. I turn to final approach at 700 feet, level the wings, continuing at 65knots all the way to the ground. Nearing the runway I raise the nose a little as the aircraft settles into the ground effect, keeping it straight as the speed bleeds away and we settle gently onto the grass. I climb out with a big smile on my face and 2 more hours of superb gliding in my logbook.

Longest Flight of the day Andrew Beaumont in his Astir
A what about the rest of the day. We did a total of 17 flights, 4 of which were 2 hours or more and a further 5 were over 1 hour. Longest flight of the day was Andrew Beaumont who flew for 2 hours 35 minutes. Highest flight was by my syndicate partner Trevor Taylor who took the Jantar to 8300 feet above the airfield struggling to go higher than me by circling in a rotor which carried him the extra 200 feet. Thanks Trevor. I really enjoy being the pilot to beat.

Trevor getting ready at the front of the launch queue
Our special thanks today must go to Steve Raine and John Rogers who manned the winch for us and to Jorg Beasley who did the cable retrieves all without the prospect of flying themselves. Next wave day I will take them up in a two seater.

And what are the best dressed glider pilots wearing this season
The tail lifting strap tied around the waist makes Phil look every bit the farmer that he is.

Steve

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Epic flying, makes me want to trade my Paraglider in for a Glider!