Dartmoor Gliding News-Stephen Fletcher solos at Aston Down

Simon Collier and I travelled up to the Cotswold Gliding Club, Aston Down on the Sunday afternoon, the weather forecast wasn’t looking great for the week but ever hopeful we were greeted by a smiling Don Puttock on arrival.

Our aircraft for the week The K23 with the K21 behind.
Monday saw us getting used to the K21 which we both really liked and we managed 8 flights each.

Getting the K21 ready for cable break practice
Unfortunately Tuesday was low cloud (600 foot max) for much of the day so lots of cable break practice. Towards the end of the day the showers dried up and the cloud rose a little allowing me to go solo in the K21.

Feeling proud after my first solo
Wednesday weather was appalling, lots of heavy rain and I only managed 2 flights. Most of the day was spent huddled in the double decker bus, that acts as the launch point, drinking coffee and listening to lectures by Don on various gliding subjects but Simon managed to do the rest of his Bronze C flying tests and so a celebratory beer was had in the evening, well done Simon for getting his Bronze C.

Thursday the weather warmed up and in the first flight of the day I went up with Don and we latched onto a wave, a first for me. More solos in the K21 and Simon converted onto the K23 single seater. In the afternoon I also converted onto the K23, something I had never dreamed I would achieve.

Converting to the K23
Friday saw Simon and I getting as many flights in the K23 that we could manage and lucky enough to find thermals and do some soaring. An incredible week, we got 32 launches each, Simon got his bronze C and I flew 16 solos and started working towards my Bronze C.

Simon back in the K23
A huge thank you to Don, Ged, Martin and Gordon for helping us get to this stage, and also to all the members of Dartmoor gliding club who have encouraged and guided me since I joined.

Stephen Fletcher

No comments: