My Early Morning Field Landing – Darren Wills

The air of expectation was high after last weeks fantastic flying conditions and the early signs were promising as I arrived at the club. Hoping to bag a two hour soaring flight I was debating whether to rig the K-6 or not due to the strong cross wind.

Having requested a check flight with David Jesty we duly strapped in. Pre-flight checks done, one last last look at the wind sock. Horizontal. Hmmm. We are launched into the wide blue yonder to test out the conditions.

'Right,' says David, 'field landing in the stub.'

Ooh, unanticipated, but this is gliding where it seems anything can happen and quickly too.

Where's the stub? Which way is the wind blowing? Why is this glider sinking so rapidly?

Mistake number one. Turn to the right instead of left. More height lost.

Mistake number two. Misjudge strength of wind higher up.

Mistake number three. Turn onto finals too far back.

Nose down, gain more speed, trees far too high in cockpit, this could be interesting.

'I have control' says David calmly.

'You have control.' Smart turn to the right, sum up our options, into wind and we are down. The perfect field landing.

Darren and David looking relaxed in their field
Debrief with David in the cockpit, have I ever thought about taking up knitting instead? Phone call to Jerry back at base to muster the troops.

After an hour or so DMX is back outside the hanger and being re-rigged.

Lessons learned? More field landing practice for definite, prepare the flight more thoroughly certainly. You just never know what might happen. There's a lot to learn.

I'm sure my antics helped to curtail the days flying and I apologize to all the members who missed out but a big 'Thank you' to everyone that helped, the teamwork was fantastic.

I'm sure one day I will return the favour.

Darren Wills

No comments: