A Week At Aston Down with Peter and Paula Howarth

Monday 17th August 2015

Peter – An early start with a briefing at 08:15 for airfield operations including weather and Notams. All looked well for a good days flying. My first flight was a site familiarisation flight in the PW6 with Don. It was my first flight in fibreglass since returning to gliding, so just wanted a gentle flight around to see the site from the air and familiarise myself with a new glider that I have never flown. All started well with a good launch to 1400’. Then came the cry “I have control”. I was soon looking at the ground spinning in front of me followed by “you have control”… Thanks Don! A couple of stalls later and into circuit then back of the ground. After a second flight a solo flight in the PW6 where I did get to look at the local area at leisure. Later I re-familiarised myself with the K23 which included a flight of just over an hour and a climb to cloud base at 5300’.

Paula – I started the days flying with a gentle flight from Don Puttock in the K13 to familiarise myself with Aston Down, followed by two more flights flown by me so that Don could see how I had progressed since our last flights together at Brentor back in October 2014. After watching my fellow course participants, mother and son duo Caroline and Remy (see picture below) who returned after spending a week with Don last month, complete some of their flights, it was soon my turn again. This time to start cable break practices and launch failures.


Course participants – Peter, Paula, Remy, Caroline and instructor Don.
A beautiful evening sky at Aston Down
Tuesday 18th

Peter – After briefing at 08:15 we got the airfield set up and the first flight at 09:40 was Paula for more launch failure practices. I was up next with Don in the PW6 flying from the back seat and working on some instructor patter teaching primary effects of controls. When we had landed Don said I could go and fly the K23 again, but he said I might want to hang on until later. What was he up to? Went through my mind. Back into the K13 was Paula and Don. Following a successful flight the straps were done up in the back seat and after a briefing from Don, Paula was off on her first solo.

Paula getting herself ready to solo
Some anxious pacing by me like an expectant father, watching every turn followed by a slightly nervous early final turn and a good landing down the field it was all over. Off I went in the buggy to get her to be met by the biggest smile I have seen on her face ever.
What a great birthday present for me. I hadn’t told anybody it was my birthday before this happened. All that was left for the day was a few quick circuits in the K23 which included a flight to land at the other end of the field when we changed ends. Paula had some flights with Don to familiarise herself with flying from the other end of the field.

Paula – picking up from where we left off yesterday, Don and I continued our launch failure practices, landing ahead on the Tarmac runway which made quite a racket as the skid of the K13 touched down… I'll stick to grass I think! Later on, Don and I went up again, successfully completing a few turns and a circuit to land. This was the quietest I had ever heard Don as he was silent the whole flight! I found out why as we landed as he said ‘great, now do you want to do that on your own?’ It's hard to even put into words the feeling I felt at that very moment. Excited, scared, nervous, heart pounding! We lined up the K13, Don did the backseat straps up and left me to sort myself out. Taking in some much needed deep breaths, I went through my CB SIFT CBE and asked for the cable. This was it. A quick glance to Dad on the wing who mouthed a very reassuring ‘you're ok’ and I was off! Into the climb where I reached the top of the launch at 1,200’, trimmed and let out a scream of relief of ‘I'm really flying!’ It wasn't a long flight. A few turns and then into my circuit. Yes I was a bit close to the airfield on the downwind leg and yes I turned in early, but I think it was that I wanted to make sure I was definitely landing back at Aston Down! And I did, all safe and bursting with relief, happiness, excitement and proud to give my Dad a very memorable birthday present. It was all a bit emotional as Dad came over in the buggy as I gave him a great big hug. A day neither of us will forget.

Touchdown – Happy Birthday Dad!

Wednesday 19th

Peter -
An even earlier start today with briefing at 07:15 so the course could get some flying in before club members arrived for club flying. So what would today bring after yesterday’s excitement. After a few more flights for me with Don in the PW6 doing some more patter exercises to teach Don how to do turns and Paula again flying with Don to tidy up her circuit planning, unfortunately shortly after some lunch we had to stop flying due to rain. Ever optimistic we kept the toys out and Don went into briefing mode to occupy the time waiting for the weather to clear. The weather never cleared and we eventually gave up, put the kit away and retired ready to go out for the course meal at the Weighbridge Inn. Hopefully Thursday will be better.

Thursday 20th

Peter – Briefing at 08:15, can the well oiled team get flying quicker. Oh yes, first flight at 08:59. So Paula had a quick flight with Don followed by two solo flights, one of which was the equal longest flight of the day. As for me, more flying with Don in the PW6. What about the other course members you might ask. Caroline had some launch failures with Don and was sent solo. Unfortunately for her the distant rain moved in a lot quicker than we expected and her solo flight was mostly in rain. But she coped fantastically well and had a successful solo flight. After a quick break for the rain to pass it was it was time for me and Don to check the cloud base. Oops only 500’ converted into launch failure practice. So another break I guessed only to be told to get back into the glider by Don. The briefing was to go right into cloud, release under tension when told, open full airbrakes, take hands and feet off and wait. So at 1000’ in cloud we released, opened the airbrakes and waited. We came out of cloud just over the end of the runway and closed the airbrakes and turned ready to do a modified circuit and landed down the field. Don then subjected Remy to launch failure practice whilst the cloud stayed low to make the most of the time. When the cloud base eventually went up I took Paula up in the PW6 for her first experience of a glass fibre glider. This was followed by Paula getting in another three solo flights back in the K13. Back to Remy a couple of check flights and then sent solo at 15 with a very nervous mother watching over.

Paula – after a quick flight with Don, it was time to go solo again, and what a flight it was. Probably my most memorable from the week (apart from the first solo of course!), launching to 1,600’, high enough to be above some low wispy clouds but below main cloud base in the morning sun. What a sight it was and what a contented feeling it gave me. I wish I could have taken a photo, but of course, being a good glider pilot I didn't have any loose articles in the cockpit. In the afternoon I had my first experience of fibreglass in the PW6 with my Dad. It was definitely different but for now I'll stick to my trusty wooden gliders!

First time in a fibreglass glider. Dad and I in the PW6
Friday 21st

Peter – Bags packed into the car before briefing as we had to vacate the rooms ready for the next customers, briefing over we got the kit out ready to fly. At the launch point bets were taken on the cloud base. Estimates from 300’ up to an optimistic 1200’ were put forward. So who to find out the answer to the question. You’ve guessed it. It was me and Don. Off we went, and the answer was 500’. Two further flights went to 600’ and 700’ respectively. After this was some more check flights for Remy and Paula. Three solo flights for Remy and one for Paula followed. I then had three more flights with Don to get him to turn onto headings and teach some early circuit planning. I later had a solo flight in the K13 to demonstrate an ‘energy dump’ approach to the course. 750’ over the end of the approach, nose down 80 knots and full airbrake finally stopping behind the line of the bus. After an early finish to put things away and fill in any outstanding paperwork it was time to say our goodbyes and head home. An enjoyable and rewarding week was over.

Paula – what a difference in the weather compared to when I first soloed. After 3 flights with Don to test the trickier conditions, I went for a solo flight. It wasn't my best and it did shake me up a little as it just proved how much the wind can affect things. After some reassuring words and flights from Don, I ended the day positively. It was also a great opportunity for me to see tug planes in action, arriving ready for the Junior Championships next week. A fantastic week, learning and achieving so much in such as short space of time. Very memorable for both Dad and I.
Two of the tugs ready for the Junior Championships 

Peter and Paula Howarth

No comments: