Dartmoor Gliding News- Saturday 14th May 2022 - Hugh Gascoyne Cross Country

 My last foray into the wild blue yonder of cross country flying was over 20 years ago, so today was a personal challenge. With Rasp hinting at a 4 star rating I got to site early (although still behind Mike and John my K6 syndicate partners!). 

With the K6 parked up at the launchpoint and packed with all XC kit (bar plumbing!) I eagerly watched the first launches. I had decided on BRT - Roadford - Launceston - BRT as my task. I could see some good Cu developing to the north so hopefully this would spread southward within reach of Brentor. Of the early launches, one or two landed back after short flights but most were staying up. Time to go! I put the K6 online and went through my checks. 

Relaxed and waiting to go
With a slight tailwind I barely made 1000ft on the launch. Conditions were immediately challenging - the thermals choppy and tricky to centre in. Still out of range of the good Cu to the north, I set about staying up rather than going anywhere! So it was that I spent the first hour chasing thermals between 1200 and 1500ft - becoming more resolute as the minutes ticked by. I was finally rewarded with a climb to 2200ft which enabled me to head north. I could see some of the fibreglass ships scuttling up and down at cloudbase ahead so I pressed on gamely, only to scurry back to Brentor to top up, having become uncomfortably low. 

My second attempt pushing out was successful, finally clawing my way up to 3000ft. I clung on to my height and made sure I was inside the TP sector over Roadford Lake. Took a couple of snaps then looked over at Launceston - blue all the way except for a few bits of scrappy Cu. I would have gone for it except for two factors - starting to feel tired and lack of in-cockpit plumbing! So with TP1 in the bag I headed home, to arrive with plenty of height in hand for the circuit and landing. Milestone achieved! I now look forward to more tasks before the season is out. 

Roadford Lake Turnpoint
Thanks to my syndicate partners Mike and John for helping to prep the glider. A memorable day."

Hugh Gascoyne

No comments: