Dartmoor Gliding News-Saturday 6th August 2022

Another blue sky day with little or no cloud to guide the soaring pilots but at least in these conditions thermals are generally where you expect them to be as there is no cloud shadow to complication the picture. The breeze today was always going to be a iritation, early on from the NE going a2round to the NW later whuch would need a change of ends possibly in the best part of the afternoon. 

The early view from the West End launch point
All the early flights were from the west end which always gives a slower launch rate particularly as we were flying with the hurdle fence in place to prevent the somewhat lively cattle from getting in from the top field.

Mark and Rick. Briefing or dancing? You decide
First up was Mark Elliot with several practice cable breaks always challenging when launching in light winds towards the east. I launched next with Milosz Wysocki, taking advantage of a half hour gap in the air-ex programme. We readily found a thermal returning after 31 minutes. One minute late. I'll try better next time.

Milosz flying while....
I handled the photography from the back seat.
Good climb rate Milosz.
Newly qualified BI Scratch (Dene Hitchen) started the Air Experience flying programme with visitor Louise McKenny. Louise returned with a huge smile after another 31 minute flight ( is the glider stuck in 31 minute mode?).

Louise ready to fly with Scratch
Louise enjoying a good climb. 6knots at 3450fy QFE
All this soaring activity encouraged the privateers to launch with Phil and Ged in the Twin Astir disappearing for a day topping 3 hours 30 minutes closely followed by Andy Davey (Libelle)  with a day topping 3:38. Gavin was next in his Std Cirrus with 2 hours. The 4th privateer was Adam Hoskin in his brightly coloured K6CR with a flight of 1:51.

Adam with his K6CR
Gavin had this to say about his flight

"On Friday I went to Les Clark's workshop, near Swindon, and collected my glider after it had received some tlc.  So this morning I set about rigging my Standard Cirrus in slow time; checking everything, making sure all the equipment was in its right place, inspecting the work done, cleaning, and taping.  In short an extended Daily Inspection.  I waited until we had "changed ends" and took the second place in the launch queue.

Scratch launched before me on a Basic Instructor flight and then kindly cleared away from overhead the winch so I could launch.  Possibly because of the tailwind at height the slow launch only produced a 900 foot gain.  So, not much time to find lift, but lift I found. Strong lift that provided me a 3,160 foot climb with an overall average of 3.0 knots.  I headed north to Blackdown and topped up my height by another 650 feet to 5,236 feet QNH.

The view was fantastic and I flew to Meldon Reservoir and then to Okehampton Camp before turning back and watching the paragliders flying over Dartmoor way below me.  On the way there and back I topped up my height over Lydford (Hugh where were you?) and a good climb over North Brentor took me back to 5,085 ft QNH.

I flew over Tavistock, to the east, and then headed back to Brentor arriving at 1,200 ft QFE and then took a pair of slightly slower climbs to 4,724 ft QNH.  I had height to continue the grand tour to Lamerton, Gunnislake, Harrowbarrow (pausing to circle to look at my new neighbour's efforts in her garden), Kit Hill, Horsebridge, and Milton Abbot before turning for a last pass over Tavistock and then home.  I wasn't convinced the forecast band of convergence was starting to form yet.  However, the pesky tailwind was still in evidence and the "float" on the round out and subsequent ground run seemed to go on for ever and I had to us my newly fettled wheel brake to come to a complete stop.

It was a great local soaring flight of exactly 2 hours.  The whole flight was in the blue except for a few wisps of cloud to the north of Blackdown where I shared thermals with Phil and Ged's Twin Astir and Andy's Libelle.  According to the On-line Contest my flight scored 87 km and 104 points.  The fight was good for a silver height badge claim.  So to our new solo pilots; don't forget to always fly with a logger or you may miss that badge claim when in falls into your lap. See You analysis of the flight showed that I flew 122 kms straight and the mean L/D (glide ratio) was 40:1.  Thanks to all who allowed me to focus on my glider and fly it again after a 7 week break"

K13CCY on approach with the Std Cirrus in the foreground
While all this was solo flying was going on the 2 seaters were kept busy as Instructor Rick Wiles worked through his list of club trainees. Scratch and I fielded the Air Experience flying. Visitor David Grafton flew with me for an enjoyable 29 minute flight after which there was a delay as the club changed ends. Visitors Gemma Harris and Hilla Goff both flew with Scratch.

David Grafton
Gemma Harris
Hilla and Scratch waiting to fly
"Can I have my certificate please?" 
Special thanks are owed to winch driver Mike Bennett who delivered great service all day without flying himself. Thanks Mike 

David and Rick on approach in CCY
Today was a long day with the last launch at 6.50pm after a total of just 30 launches. Flying from the West end and the need to stop to change ends had definitely taken it's toll on the launch rate.

Steve

No comments: