Dartmoor Gliding News - Wednesday 2nd October 2024

A brisk north-north-east wind, stronger at height, was forecast but the cloudbase was very low initially but some members were rigging their own gliders in the hope of wave.

Club gliders being DI’d in the morning. Image from John Allen
Another two club gliders undergoing Daily inspections. Image from John Allen
Andy Davey is first off in search of wave,
he was back 5 minutes later! Image by Neal Oxley
A short time later Make Jardine shows Geoff Cooper
how  to do a weather check. Image by Neal Oxley
We had two voucher visitors today, Brian North and Nigel Matthews, who were flown with Phil Hardwick and Steve Fletcher in the Puchacz.

Brian North with Steve    Image Peter Howarth
Nigel Matthews with Steve and Phil    Image Peter Howarth
A handful of students were flown mostly by Mike Jardine with a little help from Peter Howarth in the two K-13s.

Peter Howarth is about to give John Osment
a Launch Failure. Image by  Mike Jardine
Final approach in the Ka-13. Image by  Mike Jardine
I had been on the winch since the start through until after lunch and on arrival at the launch point none of the solo pilots wanted to fly so I decided to try a couple of launches in the Astir CS77. On the first one I flew NE past Mary Tavy and Blackdown but found nothing until on the base leg I found a band of lift. On the second launch to 1350’ I flew SE and stayed above 1300’ for a few minutes. I then noticed a K-13 circling near the spot I had found lift earlier so decided to join it. Arrived just below it at about 800’ and the vario started to sing. We were both trying to centre on a narrow core and keep opposite each other and climbing slowly and trading places but drifting downwind. As I climbed past the Ka-13 he left to head back but I also gave up when I could not get above 1100’. On the way back I found another core but it also petered out at 1100’ and I found no more and landed after 23 minutes. The Ka-13 had made 15 minutes, and these remained the longest flights of the day.

Julia climbing in a weak thermal.
Plymouth in the distance. Image by Mike Jardine
Airfield from the east. Image by Mike Jardine
By this time all the other solo pilots were still trying to find the elusive wave but the best efforts were around 11 minutes.
38 launches.

Malcolm Wilton-Jones

No comments: